dear americans,
tomorrow you will go to the polls and the world waits with bated breath. I'm a little worried, to be honest. It's a fact that the past often dictates the present, and if voting for Bush not once but twice is anything to go by, then quite frankly, we're screwed. The polls are up, the news keeps reporting. Obama is strong, he's unbeatable, he's the one. But still, I'm obsessing about it. My palms are sweaty, my eyes wide. I feel sick. I fear the fear of the Americans. Please, PLEASE do the right thing tomorrow. We're all depending on you.

yours in hope,
ness

ten reasons why I'm supporting Obama (and you should too)
1. A vote for McCain is a vote for Sarah Palin. At 70, McCain is highly unlikely to last out his 4 years in the White House. Do you want a gun wielding, pro-life, ignorant, psychotic, inappropriate winker at the helm of United States? She's a fucking disgrace to the female race. 
2. Financially, we're currently looking at a bleak prosperity. We need someone who will inspire us to be the best we can possibly be. Obama inspires hope, he inspires change. His gift for oratory is enough to put a spring in our steps, a morsel of belief in our being. We're inspired to change.
3. You can't 100% guarantee that anyone will be a good leader, but Obama really grasps the significance of this particular period in time, and I believe that he understands that ideology is not policy and policy is not ideology. 
4. Obama is a strong advocate of our natural environment and is passionate about investing in our planet, not just for 'right now' but long-term. He wants to put policies in place that support alternative fuels and renewable energy, including a plan to increase America's energy efficiency and create 5 million new "green" jobs.
5. He wants to responsibly end the war in Iraq. Unlike Hilary, whose plan was to just yank the troops out, Obama understands that it's an eventual progress that must be monitored carefully. He's been critical of "Operation: Kill Innocent Iraqis" from the beginning, but still, he recognises that the US needs to clean up the mess they've made before they leave.
6. Unlike the Republican ticket, Obama supports a woman's right to chose what happens to her body and is an advocate for equal pay for equal work. He wants to expand the childcare tax credit and is passionate about implementing paid maternity leave for parents.
7. If you are an American citizen earning less than 250,000, your taxes will decrease. A fairer wage for a fairer world. 
8. The world supports Obama. In September of this year, the BBC polled 22,000 people across 22 countries which revealed that the Democratic candidate is preferred by a four to one margin. In 17 of the 22 countries polled, the majority think that if Obama is elected, relations between the US and the rest of the world will improve. If not, the belief in America as a strong, democratic nation will continue to deteriorate.
9. McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time. We cannot afford to have a Bush clone, or even someone who is influenced by his policies, in power. 
10. Obama gives me hope; McCain/Palin scare the shit out of me. If I had the ability to vote tomorrow, i would chose the candidate who will move the US and the world forward and begin to correct the mistakes that have been made over the last eight years.

I'm terrified, I'm shaking in my skin. But I have faith that the US will make the right decision. I don't want to imagine the alternative. So here's a message from me to my fellow American bloggers: Don't. Screw. It. Up. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top