I woke this morning to a cacophony of sounds. A girl in the next-door backpackers hostel was sobbing, the muffled cries creeping through her open third-floor windows and floating on the beat of the carrying wind. She was taking gasping hiccupy breathes and i so wish i could've asked what was wrong. It's a little discerning hearing stranger's cry; even now I'm still pondering what was making her so sad on a sunny saturday morning. 

Some of the homeless folk from the nearby Wayside Chapel must have went a little crazy on the town last night (didn't we all), for sprawled out on the alleyway this morning on the searing concrete were 5 or 6 of them, beer bottles in hand and heads slightly lolling to one side. "fuuuuucck" the one with the beanie repeats sporadically. Then the rest chime in "fuuuuucck" After a while one of the men turns his beatbox on, and the stactic-y mumblings of early morning talkback radio joins the girl's hiccupy sobs on the passing breeze. 

And up on the backpacker's rooftop, a rowdy gang of scantily dressed boys are frying up bacon and eggs on their rusty Webber, squirting tangy sauce into squishy white rolls and scoffing them down, ciggys in hand. A couple of the still-slightly-drunk boys kick empty beer bottles around like soccer balls, exulting in glorious glee when a goal is scored. At around 11 they'll quieten down, and retreat to their beds for a midday snooze so they'll be ready to partake in another night of noisy reveling. It's always the same. 

And soon, the girl will cease crying, and a police car will roll gently into view, usher the inebriated men and their talk-back radio friends back to the Chapel, where they will be clothed and fed and showered, and no doubt continue to loll on the pavement in the hot morning sun. It's always the same. 

Any second now I'm going to peel myself from the couch and do a spot of apartment cleaning, have a shower, drink some juice etc. I'm off to the coast tonight; my friend's having her engagement party up in Terrigal so another friend and I are driving up there this arvo and staying the night in a creaky house by the sea. I haven't been any further north than Manly yet so am awfully excited to go exploring. 

I might go for a wander down to Paddington today too; i still need to buy an engagement gift, do some more chrissy shopping and am desperately craving a mango smoothie from Ampersand. Tomorrow night I will be popping along to my best friend's house in erskineville for a garage sale and barbeque (read: excuse to drink beer on a Sunday night) although I should probably be good and go to yoga. CONUNDRUM

While i let my moral conscious fight it out, i shall bid you adieu and vehemently SWEAR that i will be back posting more regularly from now on. (cross my heart and kiss my elbow)

ness x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top