Today's jumping-off point was these wide leg pants. Subtle grey pinstripe on that lovely is-it-blue-or-is-it-black? color, and we're in business. And I wanted something neutral but still an actual color on top: pale yellow button-up it is. Originally, it was topped with a baby blue short-sleeve sweater. But the sweater was smaller (translation: tighter) than the shirt was, so I looked suuuuper lumpy. No thanks.

I switched to this grey vest. At first I was hesitant because everything just felt so bland. But after adding a shiny turquoise and green brooch at my neck and my favorite shimmery braided metallic belt and a couple simple bracelets [Editor's ntoe: Because I'm a recovering bracelaholic. Actually, not even recovering. Full-fledged still ensconced in bracelethood and in serious denial that there's even a problem.], things felt more balanced.

[Editor's note: Oh, and...see those socks? Worn oh-so-confidently with my favorite flats? Yeah. That's because it's snowing outside. And while I naturally have a body temperature that rivals what's-his-werewolf in Twilight, I'm not in love with snow falling in my shoes and melting on my bare feet as I walk. So. Yep. Socks. We good here? Good.]

And with my hair straightened, I feel like a newscaster. Which makes me want to make an announcement. [Editor's note: 10 points for an excellent segway.] [Assistant Editor's note: Really? 10 points? It's like a pay raise!] [Editor's note: Don't get ahead of yourself...]

(ahem) Announcement: Recently, a man mentioned to Pocket, "I saw your wife's blog-thing the other day... Man, I'm glad MY wife isn't like that! I wouldn't have any money left to buy toys!"

Although I'm happy to be the cause of another man's reiterating his preference for his own wife (always!), I feel like I may have not made myself, and the purpose of this blog, clear. Let me do so now: This blog is based on the fact that I have many many old clothes that were gathering dust in my closet. Many of my clothes are hand-me-downs, or yard sale finds, or from high school/college days. My body shape has changed several times over the past decade, and therefore the majority of my wardrobe is comprised of hodge-podge, somewhat ill-fitting pieces.

The whole point in taking pics of myself every day (a somewhat embarrassing and extremely vulnerability-inducing endeavor in and of itself) is to show that a normal girl can still make do with what she has--she can look modern and appropriate and at least moderately stylish even with old stuff. It doesn't take a lot of money (which I don't have). It simply takes some thought and creativity. And a very big smile.

Happy Wednesday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top