along with moronic parents who smoke around their children and ppl who thnk its gr8 to rite n typ n txt lnge, plastic bags rate extremely high on my burn in hell list. plastic bags don't just urk me... no, the very sight of them leaves me twitchy and sweaty, hot blood rushes to my ears and i feel strangely violent. 

when i was 17 and working at a supermarket, the highlight of my day was refusing bags to suited yuppies buying packets of gum and tic tacs. They'd get all pouty, I'd remind them that hands, oddly enough, are excellent at holding things, and then my greasy-haired supervisor would drag me into the locker rooms for yet another talking to about customer service yap yap yap.  

those green Woolies and Coles bags aren't too attractive, I'll give you that, so to entice you (my beautiful, savvy, eco-friendly readers) into staying clear of the evil plastic spawn, I've done a bit of a round-up on my fave alternatives...

Chip Chop is the brainchild of sydney designer Hannah Chipkin, and reflects her colourful, left-of-field perspective on all things big and small. An eco-advocate, Hannah not only designs canvas totes but also cotton tees (organically-farmed), washed denim bags and quirky jewellery. I LOVE the Origami+Pilates one but alas, it is currently all sold-out... The Bag Brown Big comes in at a close second though...


When i heard on the grapevine that one of my fave jewellery labels Elk was foraying into the world of accessories, my heart skipped a little beat. My excitement was completely justified when i laid eyes on their first attempt at a bag; a gorgeous organic, undyed cotton tote, printed with Elk's eco graphic in non-toxic inks. Perfect package, vous ne pensez pas?



Although not as pretty as Chip Chop or Elk, a lot has to be said for the EnviroSax range, founded in Australia in 2004. The original designer reusable bag, these come in packs of 5 in more than a dozen prints, and have an attractive price tag to boot. Perfect for the handbag or the car glovebox; these cuties fold up into the niftiest little squares.



You've probably heard of The Bag Ladies before, they've been on the design radar for a while now and have proven not to be a passing fad; they've been going strong since 2006. They boast a truckload of cute slogans which are screenprinted onto vinyl, canvas, demin and cotton totes. My picks:


Eco-conscious US fashion label Beau Soleil (translates as 'beautiful sun'), has produced one of my definite stand-outs this season; the Reduce, Recycle, Renew bag. I always go a bit weak at the knees when it comes to this ultra-clean classic style; i just have a bit of a thing for canvas and navy blue. I'm sure it's because of all the Esprit my mother dressed me in as a child (albeit very trendy i must add). 

Doesn't the slogan remind you of reciting rhymes in primary school? 'Between 11 and 3, stay under a tree'... 'Slip, slop, slap'... But i'm not complaining; anything nostalgic is fine by me! 
Cos it's US it's a little harder to get your hands on, but the website link I've given you offers quite a few different online stores (plus, at US$44 how can you go wrong?)



Alright my greedy hens, you've kept me up waay past my bedtime... can you just give up the plastic already? 

ness x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top