today a friend asked me where the little quote up there below my blog name came from. when the world is puddle-wonderful just so happens to be one of my favourite lines from a poem written by the great ee cummings:

Just Spring

in Just-
spring       when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles       far       and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far       and       wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

 from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and
     the

             goat-footed

balloonMan       whistles
far
and
wee


I love ee cummings for a thousand reasons (he, too - dislikes capital letters. i have been doing my best lucy dear but i just don't like those damn tall letters messing up my pretty prose), but mainly because of his incredibly unique prose style. notice the spaces, and the way the poem has been laid out? it is all very deliberate; when you read the poem to yourself or out loud, you'll find yourself naturally reading to his rhythm. 

he also makes up the most decadent words - don't you just adore saying mud-luscious? lastly, i love the way his poetry feels in your mouth, all round and tasty, like a giant juicy peach. the way the syllables overlap with each other; it's a very mother-goose-rhyme way of speaking. it reminds me of playing jump-rope for some reason (maybe because of the childhood songs?)

anyway my sweets, i am off to bed; `tis just past midnight now and i have some tired footsies from my gym class tonight that are demanding a bit of shut-eye. i shall leave you with some more of mr ee cummings, just as long as you don't fall in love too fast. he's a bit of a cad, you see...

i carry your heart with me                                      

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

                                    i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)



ness x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top