shoes: steve madden. tights, necklace, & earrings: gifted. skirt: j.crew. belt & stripes: forever21. button-up: eddie bauer. bracelet & flower hairthing: downeast outfitters.

"Woahhhhhh. You're taaaaaaalllllll." First thing I heard, all prepubescent-chorus-like, when I walked into my son's 1st grade class this morning for my volunteer hour. Which is a comment I'm not really sure what to do with. Thank you? You're welcome? I'm sorry? I know? Get off me? Endless possibilities for responses, really. [Editor's note: You'll be relieved to know: I just smiled at the kids and sat down. There. Crisis averted.]

Bottom line: I attribute my newfound height to these SHOES. I heart them.

Today's jumping-off point was this denim pencil skirt. It needs some slight tailoring, but I haven't had time, so I decided to wear it with a chunky belt to hide the waistband until it's fixed. I'm afraid Sunday's ensemble got me into a total stripedy-stripe-stripe mood (PLUS it's breton stripes day), so I went with this little number. If you'll recall, it's a tunic length (some might go so far as to say it's a "dress" length, but not I, my friends. Not I.), so I tucked it here, over a pale yellow button-up.

The button-up was slightly problematic. It looked off when I wore the collar down, but so did it also look a little strange when I purposefully flipped it up. So I just opened up the back of the collar and let the front fall where it may. That's right. Living life on the edge. I'm famous for this kind of thing, you know. Like one time I went to bed without brushing my teeth.

[Editor's note: That's true, but what she's failing to admit is the END of the story, which is that she got up a sleepless hour later to brush in the dark because she couldn't handle her fuzzy teeth. So. Probably "living life on the edge...of a secure 10-foot-buffer zone" would be more accurate. But, you know, tomayto tomahto.]

I love these bright blue tights from my friend Val, and I thought this would be a great day to wear them. In this ensemble, they come across as kind of a neutral, really--just an extension of the blue denim skirt. A bright, glow-in-the-dark extension, of course, but still. They're pretty Unexpected & Maybe Awesome for me here. And I like how they're downplayed, just slightly, by the taupe booties.

Question for you all: How do you wear earrings? They are currently the bane of my style existence. I normally default to my beloved diamond studs, but my friend RaeLynn wanted me to try some danglies, which I did here (you know, that life-on-the-edge thing again). I feel like these are all wrong with this ensemble, but I'm not sure what I should do differently. Please! Earring advice! I'm begging you!

(ahem) Regardless...happy Tuesday.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top